FOUNDATION OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION
Foundation of, Physical education is made up of two words, physical and educational. The word physical simply means various body related actions, it can be related to any or all of the physical characteristics. It is also known as Body Design, Physical Fitness, Physical Efficiency, Physical Strength, Physical Fitness, etc.
The word education means systematic order or orderly manner of life or directions are given for a particular task. The combined meaning of these two words should be taken from the systematic instruction of the program of physical activity or activities, which is very necessary for the development and maintenance of the human body or for the transmission of physical powers or physical activeness.
PHYSICAL EDUCATION DEFINITIONS
- Physical education is an integral part of the educational program design to promote the optimum development of an individual physically, socially, mentally, and emotionally.
- Physical education is the process by which changes in individuals are bought about through movement experiences.- Delbert oberteffer
- Physical education is the sum of those experiences which came to the individuals through movement.-Delbert oberteffer
Education is the process of facilitating learning, knowledge, skills, values, beliefs, and habits of a group of people are transferred to other people, through storytelling, discussion, teaching, training, or research.
SCOPE OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION
First of all, we will discuss the physical education. What is physical education?
answer: we all in an era, where we love sports and realize the importance of sports playing sports (game) in school and college level need not be considered just as a hobby. one can build their career in physical education t6o see various career option in it:
* BACHELOR OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION (B.P.ED) OR EQUIVALENT COURSE
* B.SC. IN HEALTH AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION* MASTERS IN PHYSICAL EDUCATION (M.P.ED)
* M. PHIL*DOCTORATE IN PHYSICAL EDUCATION (Ph.D.)
AND MANY COURSES OFFERED
WHAT IS SCOPE OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION?
Physical education must be learned, hence there is a need for thinking on the part of the intellectual mechanism, with a resulting acquisition of knowledge. physical activities are essential for the development of a child’s scientific insight, intelligence, and superior type of reflective thinking.
WHAT ARE THE CAREER OPTIONS IN PHYSICAL EDUCATION?
There are various career options in a sports academy, health clubs, sports goods manufacturing, companies and in the areas of marketing, also there is an opportunity as a commentator, sports journalist, sports trainer, school/college teacher(physical training) and many more.
The aims of physical education are to enable the student to:
* Appreciate and understand the value of physical education and relationship to a healthy, active lifestyle.
* work to their optimal level of physical fitness.
* Become aware of movement as a creative medium connected to communication, expression, and aesthetic appreciation.
* develop the motor skills necessary to participate successfully in a variety of physical activities.
* experience enjoyment and satisfaction through physical activity.
* develop social skills that demonstrate the importance of teamwork and cooperation in group activities.
* Show knowledge and understanding in a variety of physical activities and evaluate their own and other performances.
IMPROVE PHYSICAL FITNESS:– By involving in daily physical activities the children and all the people can improve their physical fitness and can lead to a healthy lifestyle.
SELF-DISCIPLINE:– Physical education is to help in maintaining the discipline in your life facilities development of people’s responsibilities towards their health and fitness.
SKILL DEVELOPMENT:- Develop motor skills, which allows for safe participation in physical activities.
STRESS REDUCTION:- Through recreation physical activities the peoples can reduce their whole day stress, by plating some recreation games.
IMPROVE SELF CONFIDENCE AND SELF-ESTEEM:- Physical education plays a very important role in making children self-worth based on the mastery of skills and the concept of physical activities.they can be more confident and independent.
IMPROVE JUDGEMENT:– Physical education can influence moral development. students have the opportunity to assume leadership, corporate with others, and coordination ability.
MISCONCEPTION OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION
* Physical education is a rest between academic classes.
* Anyone can teach physical education, no professional training is needed.
* Physical education is trying to keep tension or stress-free during regular classes.
* Physical education teachers are below average in intelligence.
* A person should go into the physical education profession.
if he wants to go through college without study or only playing sports.
* A physical education teacher tosses out the ball, blows a whistle, and play in the playground with students.
* Physical education grades have no academic value.
* Intercollegiate athletics is not an essential part of college education programs.
Foundation of Physical education
OBJECTIVES OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION
As told earlier “aim” is the ultimate goal to be achieved. often the ain is one, but to attain it, there may be many objectives and they may change from time to time.
According to :
J.B. Nash: (i) neuromuscular development, (ii) emotional development, (iii) interpretive development, (iv) Organic development.
H.C. Buck: (i) Organic development, (ii) development of Neuromuscular coordination, (iii) Development of psychological balance, (iv) Development of social attitude and conduct, (v) Development of healthy habit.
From the objectives given by different educationists, we can conclude that there are four objectives of physical education.
A brief description of these objectives is given below:
1. Physical Development: To achieve the ultimate aim of physical education, the objectives of physical development has to be achieved. According to this objective the body grows in a proper way. Physical development improves our neuromuscular responses and leads to maximum organic development.
2. Psychological Development: This development is related to positive thoughts, ideas, behavior, attitude, conduct, and responses. This objective improves the psychological balance of ana individual, i.e, mental progress, and mental development.
3.Social: Development: Man is a social animal and cannot live without society, man is a part of society and has to follow the rules, regulations, traditions, and laws of society. His activeness in society proves his identity. In society, man learns the socialization process.
4.Emotional Development: Emotions are a very important part of the optimum development of a man’s personality. Emotions like hunger, love, hate, jealousy, aggressiveness, cheerfulness, pleasure, anxiety, etc., are parts of human personality. Foundation of Physical education is a vast subject to study.
READ MORE-: Cognitive process in psychology in sports psychology
1 thought on “Foundation Of Physical Education”
Pingback: MEANING OF PHYSICAL FITNESS | Physical Education
Comments are closed.