REHABILITATION IN SPORTS
Rehabilitation in sports:-On the basis of the concept developed the rehabilitation in sports may be defined as “The combined and coordinated use of medical, social, psychological and occupation measures for coaching and training the people to the best potential level of practical ability.
MEANING OF REHABILITATION IN SPORTS:
REHABILITATION literally means the restoration of a normal state of health or well-being. On the other hand, ‘TREATMENT’ in sports injuries usually refers to those therapeutic measures that are used in healing injured tissue. REHABILITATION is an important part of universal health coverage together with promotion, prevention, and treatment.
In simple words rehabilitation in sports refers to bring your previous performance back to with u where you got injured and because of injury, you stop practicing when you came back to that position where you stop then your rehabilitation process said to be completed.
GOALS OF REHABILITATION IN SPORTS:-
- IMMEDIATE AND EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT:– The treatment should be immediate and effective so that the subject can recover faster than a normal state of recovery. Now how it can be effective management when we can quickly know the exact injury and can give treatment meant according to it and for this, we can say immediate and effective management.
- THE PROGRESSIVE SPORTS MEDICAL CARE FOR SUBSEQUENT MANAGEMENT: Better sports medical care to be provided to sportsperson with proper management for the immediate effect on the rehabilitation in sports injury. better equipment and best quality treatment are given to the players for faster recovery results.
- THE PLANNED SEQUENTIAL STAGE OF REHABILITATION UNTIL THE RECOVERY IS COMPLETE:- He planned and the systematic program should be given to the sportspersons until the recovery is complete and will come back to their previous state of fitness/performance. Till then he has to do a workout according to the physiotherapist or a consulting doctor how much workout he can do for getting better results.
- TREATMENT BY SPECIFIC MODALITIES:- Sometimes for specific injury there are specific types of treatment modalities that are used to recover faster. Like ultrasound to reduce swelling in the rehabilitation in sports injury. and many like TENS stimulator for reducing back pain, shoulder pain, and many more.
- GAINING RECOVERY MUSCULOSKELETAL FUNCTION:- When the rehabilitation process occurs then with the whole body musculoskeletal function recovery is also important so for this strengthening exercises are important. by doing this exercise we can also improve our coordination ability and can improve body balance and can minimize the chances of injury in the future.
- REALIGNMENT OF PRE-EXISTING WEAKNESS OR IMBALANCE:- Whatever the injury occurs to the sportsperson, the weakness or imbalance occurs through the injury by doing rehabilitation exercises we can recover the weakness or imbalance through injury. like doing specific exercises for improving the strength and balance of the body.
- RETURN TO FULL ACTIVITY:- When the subject would be fully recovered then only he or she can return to their full activity with his or her full efficiency. And can perform better as they are doing before or maybe better than before. so we advised the players when he or she return to their activity they will take care more than before now they have to work to develop their skills and can reduce the chances of injury. In many cases, the psychological aspect of rehabilitation is more important than the physiological.
PRINCIPLE FOR REHABILITATION IN SPORTS INJURY
- Diagnosis of Injuries
- Grading of Injuries
- Management of Injuries
DIAGNOSIS OF INJURY:- By the use of proper physical examination, We can do proper diagnosis by seeing it physically and examine it through tests and equipment so that we can treat it well and can recover it fast.
CONDUCTING REQUIRED INVESTIGATION:– We should investigate everything from the subject so that we came to know what is the actual thing that happened to the subject of how the subject gets injured and when. everything we have to ask and gained the right information from the subject.
FINDING OUT ANY PREVIOUS OF HISTORY OF INJURY:- We also have to ask the subject if he or she has any past injury to the affected part if there is any history regarding the affected area so we have to see all previous reports and test to know about the previous treatment given to them, and according to that we should continue with the treatment which is suitable to the subject.
GRADING OF INJURY AND REHABILITATION IN SPORT
- Involves assessing the level of disability. (Based on Symptoms)
- Through the symptoms of injury of any disability, we can assess the level of disability.
- An individual previous state of fitness or ability to return to normal activity.
- We should also know about the sportsperson’s previous state of fitness and after rehabilitation, we should check their fitness if he or she was on their previous state of fitness or not.
- His / her role in sports, When we start a process of rehabilitation we ask from the subject which sports do you play on which position do you play so that we can assess the actual state of injury and can give the right treatment.
- And his / her mental toughness, Sometimes the injury is so bigger but mental toughness plays a very big role in recovering from any injury because he or she has a positive vibe with them that they can do it and can recover from the injury no matter how big it is. this comes through mental toughness.
MANAGEMENT OF INJURY
PROGRESSIVE ACTIVE & EARLY MOBILIZATION:-
Rehabilitation is the way to recover from the injury and can do a movement quickly day by day. this comes in early mobilization. Passive physical treatment.
If we do exercise with the support of anyone it can be a resistance band or supporter this also comes in passive physical treatment.
Ultrasound is a deep heating treatment used to treat many musculoskeletal conditions like sprains, strains, or tendonitis. Ultrasound is administered by your physical therapist using an ultrasound machine. A small amount of gel is used so the ultrasound waves are absorbed into the skin and muscles.
ELECTRICAL STIMULATION AND TENS
Electrical stimulation and TENS (transcutaneous electrical neuromuscular stimulation) is occasionally used in physical therapy to help decrease pain around injured tissue. This is called neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) and is used to help your injured muscles “relearn” how to function properly.
Traction is used in the treatment of low back pain and neck pain to help decrease pain and improve mobility of the spine.
Drug therapy refers to the treatment given to people with antibiotics, pain killers, and anti-allergy drug tablets so these are very helpful therapy for chronic injury. this is used in chronic injuries where these drugs play an important role to decrease pain.
Psychological treatment refers to the mindset it can do anything for example. if there is any injury and your treatment is going on so if u sets a mind to recover faster and quicker it will really help you to recover at a faster rate, here only another phase if he or she thinks that our treatment is going on or even we are not recovering so the main thing is your psychology if you are thinking negative so you are putting yourself to the negative side or vice versa.
The specialist opinion is also very important because whatever would be the injury but the specialist can only give the right treatment to the injured sportsperson. And will do faster the recovery rate so it is very important to consult with the specialist of a particular injury.
The principle of ‘PRICE’ is applied i.e. Prevention, Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation.
What is PRICE in injury rehabiltation
- P-PREVENTION, PROTECTION
- R- REST
- I- ICE
As soon as possible after an injury, such as a knee or ankle sprain, you can relieve pain and swelling and promote healing and flexibility with PRICE—Prevention, Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation.
- REST: Rest and protect the injured or sore area. Stop, change, or take a break from any activity that may be causing your pain or soreness.
- ICE: Cold will reduce pain and swelling. Apply an ice or cold pack right away to prevent or minimize swelling. Apply the ice or cold pack for 10 to 20 minutes, 3 or more times a day. After 48 to 72 hours, if swelling is gone, apply heat to the area that hurts. Do not apply ice or heat directly to the skin. Place a towel over the cold or heat pack before applying it to the skin.
- COMPRESSION: Compression, or wrapping the injured or sore area with an elastic bandage (such as an Ace wrap), will help decrease swelling. Don’t wrap it too tightly, because this can cause more swelling below the affected area. Loosen the bandage if it gets too tight. Signs that the bandage is too tight include numbness, increased pain, coolness, or swelling in the area below the bandage. Talk to your doctor if you think you need to use a wrap for longer than 48 to 72 hours; a more serious problem may be present.
- ELEVATION: Elevate the injured or sore area on pillows while applying ice and anytime you are sitting or lying down. Try to keep the area at or above the level of your heart to help minimize swelling.
PROGRESSIVE EARLY AND ACTIVE MOBILIZATION
Strengthening exercises are exercises that are designed to increase the strength of specific or groups of muscles. Strengthening exercises overload the muscle until the point of muscle fatigue. Weak muscles can increase the risk of injury to the surrounding joints and soft tissues. So while doing strengthening exercise keep increasing your weight gradually after adapting the weight you are doing with.
Flexibility exercise is one of the four types of exercise along with strength, balance, and endurance. Ideally, all four types of exercise would be included in a healthy workout routine. If your body is flexible then there are fewer chances of getting injured. Flexibility is very important to give 100% of your performance.
Endurance is the ability to do any movement with the desired quantity and speed under the condition of fatigue. So there are so many endurance exercises by which we can improve our endurance like running, plank, bodyweight squats, walking lunges, and many more.
Has its origin in rehabilitation. Functional training means where the one does have to do the combination exercises to develop the strength of overall whole body and will combine all the exercises like for strength, speed, agility, endurance, coordination ability, and many more. So functional training main refers to weight-bearing exercises and focuses on the core muscles this is known as functional training
- Body-weight training
- Resistance tubes/ bands
- Rocker and
- wobble boards Balance disks